Foraminal narrowing (foraminal stenosis) is a condition of the spine that causes pain, discomfort and other irritating complications resulting from the narrowing of the cervical disc space. Nonsurgical pain management services are available in Brooklyn, NYC to effectively treat the condition.
The condition causes neck and shoulder pain that radiates down into the arms. Foraminal stenosis affects both men and women, usually those who are over 50. It may occur in younger people who are born with a small foraminal canal. The factors that lead to foraminal narrowing are
- Age-related decline of the vertebral column
- Bone spurs
- Herniated or bulging discs
- Ligament thickening
- Facet joint swelling
- Sudden injuries such as a fall, high-impact sport or motor vehicle accident
- Repetitive, strenuous movements or improper lifting
- Excess weight or obesity
- Lack of exercise
- Improper footwear
- Family history
The signs and warnings which may indicate foraminal stenosis are pain and discomfort that are localized or radiate to nearby extremities, muscle weakness, numbness, tingling or “pins-and-needles” sensations, and the inability to participate in everyday activities. These symptoms would vary depending on which area of the spinal column experiences the problematic narrowing such as cervical, thoracic or lumbar as well as the severity of the problem. Although foraminal narrowing can become a serious condition, it is generally easily treatable with prompt medical attention and proper care.
The good news is that effective nonsurgical options are available that can substantially relieve the pain associated with foraminal narrowing:
- Rest – Patients may be advised extended periods of bed rest.
- Ice application – Applying ice packs or frozen gel packs, coolant sprays, ice massage or ice baths on the affected area reduces inflammation.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) – NSAIDS include the over-the-counter pain relieving drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen and naproxen.
- Spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustment – Chiropractic experts use manual techniques to relieve the stress on the vertebral column and curve of spine.
- Physical therapy exercises – Exercises improve blood flow, strengthen the muscles around the spine, help maintain flexibility and reduce pain.
- Epidural injections and/or nerve block – Injections of corticosteroid medication into the epidural space of the spinal column decrease pain and inflammation.
- Pain management with Game Ready – This cold therapy compression system provides effective relief from pain.
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) – This therapy involves the application of low-voltage electrical current for pain relief.
At a reliable pain management center in NYC with a multi-specialty approach, a team of healthcare professionals that includes neurologists, physical therapists, orthopedic specialists, pain management doctors, and chiropractors will collaborate to diagnose your condition. They will then develop a customized treatment plan that incorporates these effective modalities to address the condition, ease your symptoms, and allow you to return to work and other daily activities quickly.