Autumn is the time when people engage in sports and other outdoor activities as weather is cool and perfect. School sports are also back in full swing in the fall. Vigorous outdoor activity is associated with injuries. Healthcare centers offer sports injuries treatment in Brooklyn to help athletes regain mobility, strength and balance, and get back their activity.
Fall is best time of the year to play basketball, handball, bowling, soccer, field hockey, cheerleading and volleyball, and in fact, sports-related injury rates are higher in this season. Sprained ankles, kneecap pain, shin splints, ACL Tears, stress fractures, muscle pulls and overuse tendon injuries are the some of the common sports injuries that occur during the fall. Prevention is the key to reducing the rate of sports injuries. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) has recommended safety tips to help reduce the risk of common injuries and help teens stay in the game and out of the emergency room:
- Have a pre-season physical examination and follow the physician’s recommendations.
- Always warm-up with low-impact exercises before practice and games.
- Incorporate stretching and strengthening exercises into your daily fitness plan. A good stretch should be held for 10-12 seconds and not go beyond the point of resistance.
- Wear protective gear such as properly fitted cleats, pads, helmets, mouth guard or other necessary equipment while playing.
- Drink plenty of water to maintain health and minimize muscle cramps.
- Athletes should take lessons from coach or trainer if they are starting a new activity or coming back to it after some time off. This will help to ensure that they are doing the activity correctly.
- Avoid playing on an unsafe or poorly maintained playground.
- Never play when injured.
- Take a break between practices, games and events.
- Try playing multiple positions or sports during the off-season.
- Decrease the training time and intensity if pain or discomfort develops.
- Wear supportive or well-fitting shoes.
- Be aware that wet, slippery fields can lead to injuries.
If you are injured while playing your favorite sport, don’t panic. You can obtain excellent treatment for sports injuries in a reliable multispecialty health care and rehabilitation center in Brooklyn reduce pain, restore the injured area to normal function and prevent further injury. Experienced pain management doctors will conduct a thorough physical examination to understand how the injury has affected range of motion. In order to identify the nature and extent of the injury as well as to rule out the fractures, they will use advanced diagnostic modalities such as X-ray, and in some cases MRI scan. Based on the outcome of the assessment, they will prepare a customized treatment plan which may include physical therapy with range-of-motion and stretching as well as strengthening exercises as well as modalities such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), heat and ice applications, radiofrequency radio ablation, chiropractic care, Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), splinting/casting, ultrasound, cortisone injections, Game Ready cold compression therapy, and other measures.
Playing your most passionate game safely and correctly will help you stay active and enjoy a healthier and happier fall season.