Back pain is a widespread problem, affecting most people at some point in their lives. The pain can range from persistent dull ache to a sudden sharp pain or chronic pain. Non-surgical back pain treatment in Brooklyn multispecialty healthcare centers involves the use of several proven modalities to address pain, and improve mobility, functionality and quality of life.
Dealing with chronic back pain can be tiresome, especially if you don’t know the exact cause. Pain in the low back area can occur due to a wide range of factors such as muscle or ligament strain, bulging/ruptured disc, skeletal irregularities and injury to the bones or spine. Incorrect posture, heavy or strenuous work and various medical conditions can cause back pain. You should never make rushed treatment decisions or undergo any extensive medical procedure until the origin of the pain is found. In a professional Brooklyn healthcare center, a team of healthcare experts from various fields will work together to diagnose the root cause of the condition. Based on individual considerations, they will develop a customized treatment plan that involves the use of safe and effective nonsurgical modalities to address the condition.
Nonsurgical Treatment Options for Back Pain
- Physical therapy – Physical therapy treatment multispecialty Brooklyn healthcare center combines physiology with exercises and applies these principles to the body when an injury is sustained. These exercises help support the spine and its joints including the muscles, ligaments and tendons. Physical therapy exercises include stretching, strengthening and stabilization workouts. In addition to exercise programs, physical therapy involves the use of pain management modalities such as Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), Ice/Heat Application, Traction, and Rehabilitation.
- Epidural steroid injections – Epidural steroid injections, nerve ablations and other types of injection-based procedures deliver steroids into the joints, muscles, ligaments or around nerves to reduce inflammation.
- Chiropractic care – Chiropractors perform spinal manipulation using the hands or a special instrument to reduce pain and restore mobility. Chiropractic treatment involves the application of a specific controlled force to realign the spine. It reduces pressure on pinched nerves, improves the flexibility of the spine, and reduces pain.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) – NSAIDs such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve) provide relief from back pain. Patients should use these medications only as directed by their pain management doctor, as overuse can lead to serious side effects.
How to Prevent Back Pain
Improving physical fitness and learning and practicing proper body mechanics can help prevent back pain or its recurrence. Some of the best methods to keep your back healthy and strong are –
- Regular low-impact aerobic activities
- Maintaining good body posture
- Following a nutritious/healthy diet
- Using proper lifting techniques
- Avoiding sitting or standing for long periods of time
In a reliable Brooklyn health care center, patients are assured of individualized attention. The treatment recommended will depend on the type, extent and severity of pain and individual treatment needs and preferences. Pain management physicians, physical therapists and neurologists will collaborate to provide effective treatment and guidance to help patients manage pain and improve quality of life.