Fibromyalgia is a long-term condition that causes aches and pain throughout the body including neck, upper chest, upper back and shoulders, elbows and knees. Fibromyalgia pain management in a reliable multispecialty healthcare center in NYC involves the use of various proven modalities to reduce chronic pain and restore the patient’s strength and quality of life.
According to the Office on Women’s Health (OWH), between 80 and 90 percent of those diagnosed with fibromyalgia are women. Men and children can also develop this chronic condition. The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases estimates that about five million adults in the United States have fibromyalgia. Though it can develop in anyone at any age, the condition tends to hit people during middle age.
What Causes Fibromyalgia Pain?
Risk factors include a personal or family history of fibromyalgia or other rheumatoid disease, stressful or traumatic events, such as car accidents, repetitive injuries, a history of serious infections and obesity. Studies show that repeated nerve stimulation causes changes in the brains of people with fibromyalgia, leading to higher levels of pain causing chemicals. It is also believed that brain’s pain receptors become more sensitive and overreact to pain signals.
The following symptoms are indicative of fibromyalgia:
- Cognitive and memory problems
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Numbness or tingling of hands and feet
- Eyes and ears become sensitive to bright lights and loud noises
- Trouble sleeping
- Morning stiffness
- Painful menstrual periods
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Depression and anxiety
Fortunately, effective pain management treatments are available to manage the pain associated with this chronic medical condition. In a leading multispecialty healthcare center in Brooklyn, the options available for fibromyalgia pain management would include the following:
- Physical Therapy and Moderate Exercises – This includes stretching exercise to improve muscle flexibility and relaxation exercises to reduce muscle tension.
- Massage and Myofascial Release Therapy – This safe and effective hands-on technique involves applying gentle sustained pressure into the myofascial connective tissue restrictions to eliminate pain and restore motion.
- Chiropractic – This hands-on, natural technique involves the use of spinal manipulation to relieve pain.
- Prolotherapy – This involves the injection of an irritant solution into a joint space, ligaments or tendon insertion in order to relieve pain.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) – This therapy utilizes low-voltage electrical current to reduce muscle stiffness and pain.
In addition to these options, medications such as analgesics, antidepressants, and NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) are administered to lessen pain and fatigue.
Fibromyalgia pain management in a reliable healthcare center in Brooklyn, NYC, would involve a multispecialty approach. Their team of healthcare professionals collaborates to develop treatment programs tailored to patients’ specific needs, conditions, and preferences. With a compassionate but professional approach, they will pay attention to each patient’s specific concerns and provide them with the best possible solution.