Rehabilitation services in Brooklyn, NYC are specially designed to alleviate pain, thus helping you get back to a healthy and active lifestyle. If you are experiencing severe back or neck pain due to an injury, a medical condition, or surgery, then you can obtain effective treatment from a reliable healthcare and rehabilitation center in Brooklyn, NYC that provides physical rehabilitation services to restore your range of motion and improve flexibility. Today, nearly 80 percent of Americans experience back pain at some point in their lives. As per the American Osteopathic Association, more than a quarter of Americans reported being affected by neck pain. These two afflictions are among the most common reasons for visits to the doctor and contribute heavily to disability, lost work days and high cost of healthcare.
Causes of Back and Neck Pain
Usually, back and neck pain is caused due to the following reasons:
- Automobile injuries
- Bone spurs
- Cervical spondylosis
- Disc disease or herniation
- Neck injuries
- Pinched nerves
- Spinal stenosis
Symptoms of Back Pain
Common complications associated with back pain include back stiffness, muscle spasms, and tenderness of the back muscles, pain that moves down the leg, leg numbness, leg weakness, groin numbness and difficulty urinating.
Symptoms of Neck Pain
Symptoms associated with neck pain usually involve one or more of the following – soreness and difficulty moving the neck, sharp pain in the lower levels of the neck, radiating pain, tingling, numbness, or weakness, trouble with gripping or lifting objects, and headaches.
Non-surgical Options for Reducing Back and Neck Pain
- Physical therapy and exercises – Physical therapy modalities along with stretching, strengthening and low impact aerobic exercises are advised for effective pain management.
- Prolotherapy – This therapy uses injection of an irritant solution into a joint space, ligaments or tendon insertion to relieve pain or address laxity of the ligament.
- Spinal manipulation – Chiropractors provide this chiropractic treatment using their hands or a device to apply a controlled force to a joint of the spine. The amount of force applied depends on the form of manipulation used. The goal of this treatment is to relieve pain and improve physical functioning.
- Traction therapy – It is a form of decompression therapy that involves stretching the spine using a traction table or similar motorized device.
- Massage and Myofascial release – This is a hands-on technique that is performed directly on the skin without oils, creams or machinery. The therapist applies gentle sustained pressure into the myofascial connective tissue restrictions to reduce pain and restore motion.
- Heat and ice application – This involves applying ice packs, ice massage, cold mask, hot packs, baths, showers, all-day heat wrap, or electric heating pad to the affected area.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) – Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen are prescribed to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Radiofrequency radio ablation – An electrical current produced by a radio wave is used to heat up a small area of nerve tissue, thereby reducing pain signals from that specific area.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) – A TENS machine is a small, battery-operated device that has a length of wire connected to sticky pads called electrodes. These pads will be directly attached to your skin. When the machine is switched on, small electrical impulses are delivered to the affected area of your body.
- Chiropractic care – Chiropractors use hands-on technique and handheld adjusting instrument to minimize aches and pains.
- Injections – Usually, epidural steroid injections (ESIs) are administered to ease neck and back pain.
- Game Ready – This is a cold therapy compression system that works after surgery, during rehabilitation, or for those recovering from sports injuries throughout training and competition.
If you are seeking treatment for neck pain or back pain in Brooklyn, NYC, approach a reliable multispecialty healthcare and rehabilitation center. Their team of trained and experienced healthcare professionals would diagnose the actual cause and condition of your injuries using advanced diagnostic techniques including X-ray and MRI. Based on the diagnostic reports as well as patient history they would prepare a customized treatment plan. Moreover, they would provide systematic and comprehensive care to manage your condition and enable you to get back to your everyday activities with great enthusiasm.