Shoulder pain is the third most common reported musculoskeletal complaint in primary care. Pain management in NYC involves a range of nonsurgical treatments to manage acute and chronic shoulder pain and optimize physical potential and health. Shoulder disorders occur due to wear and tear, injury, trauma, strains, accidents, falls, repetitive joint movements, poor posture, degenerative conditions and other pathologies. Problems in another part of the body such as the neck, heart or lungs can also lead to pain in this area of the body. Pain in the shoulders may be confined to one area or radiate to areas around the shoulder or down the arm.
Conditions that cause shoulder pain include:
- Frozen shoulder
- Dislocation / instability
- Sports injuries
- Work-related injuries
- Tendinitis, bursitis, and impingement syndrome
- Torn rotator cuff
Shoulder pain can affect anybody at any time. It is estimated that about 20% of the population experiences shoulder pain at some point of their lifetime. The condition can affect your daily activities, recreational activities, and quality of life. If left untreated, shoulder pain can turn into a chronic problem. So if you have any of the following symptoms, seek a medical attention as early as possible:
- Shoulder pain that persists beyond a few days
- Recurring pain, even if it has a history of settling on its own
- Inability to carry objects or use the arm
- Injury that causes deformity of the joint
- Shoulder pain that occurs at night or while resting
- Inability to raise the arm
- Swelling or significant bruising around the joint or arm
- Signs of an infection, including fever, redness, warmth or swelling
Non-surgical Treatment for Shoulder Pain
Reliable healthcare centers in Brooklyn, NYC, offer high quality pain management services for a wide array of musculoskeletal complaints, including shoulder pain. Their experienced physical therapists, orthopedic specialists, and other pain management experts will first determine the root cause of the pain through a physical exam, laboratory tests, and imaging techniques. Based on the diagnosis, they will develop a customized treatment plan that may include one or a combination of the following nonsurgical modalities:
- Physical therapy exercises – Stretching and strengthening exercises can ease tight, stiff, and sore shoulders.
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) – This therapy involves application of low-voltage electrical current for pain relief.
- Chiropractic care – This drug-free treatment involves gentle manipulation of the joint and other treatments to reduce pain and improve function.
- Ice/heat application – Applying ice packs, ice massage, cold mask, hot packs, baths, showers, all-day heat wrap, electric heating pad to the affected area.
- Cortisone injections – Administration of cortisone injections can address inflammation.
- Anti-inflammation medication – Oral anti-inflammatory medication such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen and cox-2 inhibitors can reduce swelling and inflammation and relieve pain associated with shoulder bursitis and tendonitis.
- Ultrasound therapy – This involves the use of sound waves above the range of human hearing to treat injuries like muscle strains.
- Cold compression – Game Ready shoulder wrap enables the simultaneous circulation of ice water and air and is ideal for pain management, fracture fixation, rotator cuff repair, and more.
Obtain Treatment from a Leading Multi-Specialty Healthcare Center
If you are tired of living with shoulder pain, approach a multispecialty healthcare and rehabilitation center in Brooklyn, NYC. They can provide individualized treatment based on your condition. Their team of health care providers will evaluate your condition and recommend the most suitable pain management options to address it.