Joint pain refers to pain, discomfort or inflammation that arises in any part of a joint: bone, ligament, cartilage, tendons or muscles. There are several causes of joint pain. If the condition is due to an infection or rheumatoid arthritis, it is important to get proper joint pain treatment. Here are some simple strategies to prevent and alleviate joint pain:
- Losing Weight – According to reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 70.7 percent of the US adults are obese. Obesity increases a person’s risk of developing osteoarthritis, the degenerative condition which causes the cartilage to wear away and the tendons and ligaments to stretch, causing joint pain. Losing excess body weight will take the extra pressure off your joints, slow down joint degeneration, and improve mobility. Lifestyle changes like healthy diet and strict exercise regime are the key strategies in weight loss programs. Patients who have significant joint pain should consult a pain management expert before embarking on an exercise regimen.
Leading multispecialty healthcare centers in Brooklyn, NYC offer auricular therapy based weight loss programs that focus on addressing the root cause of weight gain – appetite. Auriculotherapy involves the application of very light electrical stimulation to precise points on the external ear. This stimulation releases chemicals or endorphins that affect the digestive and hormonal systems of the body, minimizing cravings and controlling the appetite.
- Exercise – Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day. Regular physical exercise increases strength and flexibility, reduces pain, and helps combat fatigue. Low impact exercise programs allow you to move within the limits of pain and do not aggravate the joint pain. Exercises such as walking, swimming, stationary training; elliptical machines and water aerobics can increase the flexibility and strength of the joints, and prevent pain from getting worse. Consult your physician on the right exercise program for your needs.
- Good nutrition – Healthy eating is crucial for weight loss. Adjust your diet and include more foods and supplements that will help reduce inflammation in the body. Never skip meals, reduce portions instead. Switch to lower-calorie foods that have higher fiber content. In addition to increasing intake of fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water. A low calorie diet combined with regular physical activity can help in better weight management.
- Quit smoking – Smokers have a higher risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis. Smoking slows down the body’s natural healing mechanisms and reduces blood flow which makes it even more difficult to recover from injuries and inflammation. Smoking cessation programs in Brooklyn-based healthcare centers utilize auriculotherapy to reduce nicotine cravings.
- Reduce stress – Stress releases chemicals that can affect your body’s immune system, causing joint inflammation and swelling. Meditation and other relaxation techniques can reduce stress and alleviate pain.
In established multispecialty healthcare centers in Brooklyn, NYC, physical therapists, orthopedic specialists, and other healthcare professionals provide customized treatment to help patients manage pain and improve joint mobility.