Regarded as the leading cause of disability in the United States, arthritis mainly affects the musculoskeletal system, particularly the joints. The condition is characterized by severe pain and inflammation in one or more joints in the body. Reports from the arthritis Foundation (AF) suggests that about 54 million adults have doctor-diagnosed arthritis (2017 statistics). Arthritis pain can seriously affect the quality of life. If left untreated, the pain can affect the movement and make performing even daily tasks difficult. Early diagnosis and treatment can ease the pain and other symptoms. Leading multispecialty healthcare centers in Brooklyn, NYC offer effective arthritis pain management options for rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and other types of joint inflammation.
Arthritis develops due to different factors. Common causes incl
ude – injury (leading to degenerative arthritis), abnormal metabolism (such as gout and pseudogout) and joint infections. Other risk factors include age, excessive body weight, predisposed genetic factors, occupations with high risk of injury, and overuse of joints.
The main signs and symptoms of arthritis involve the joints and would differ depending on the type of arthritis. Common symptoms include –
- Chronic pain
- Decreased range of motion
Arthritis Treatment Options
There are different treatment modalities for arthritis. The type of treatment recommended would depend on the type and severity of symptoms. Arthritis pain treatment in Brooklyn based healthcare centers focuses on reducing the immediate symptoms and improving joint function. A team of specialists comprising pain management doctors, orthopedists, physical therapists, chiropractors, and rehabilitation specialists will collaborate to develop customized treatment regimens to suit each patient’s needs. The treatment program will combine various nonsurgical modalities such as physical therapy, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), chiropractic care, muscle relaxants, and injections.
- Physical therapy – Physical therapy comprises therapeutic exercises such as stretching, strengthening and aerobic exercises that help reduce pain, improve joint flexibility, and strengthen the muscles.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin (Ecotrin), ibuprofen (Motrin), nabumetone (Relafen), and naproxen (Naprosyn) can help address pain and inflammation in the joints.
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) – TENS involves applying low-voltage electrical current to reduce joint stiffness and pain.
- Chiropractic care – Chiropractic treatment in Brooklyn is administered by well- trained licensed chiropractors. The therapy involves using the hands or a special device to apply a gentle force to correct joint misalignment and relieve pressure on the nerves and tissue structures.
- Ice and Heat Application – Ice packs reduce joint inflammation whereas heat application provides muscle relaxation. Dry heating pads, ice packs or frozen gel packs are some of the commonly used ice and heat applications.
- Joint injections – Monovisc and Orthovisc injections can help restore the natural joint fluid that cushions, lubricates and protects the joints, thereby reducing pain. Administered as a single injection, Monovisc helps the synovial fluid to better protect and lubricate the joint. Orthovisc on the other hand, is injected through 3 to 4 intra-articular injections (administered one week apart) and helps in restoring the hyraluronan in the joint.
If not managed properly, arthritis can seriously affect daily living. Correct and timely diagnosis and treatment is crucial for improving pain and mobility. Clinical studies show that early diagnosis and treatment can lead to remission of symptoms.